Australia Needs Skilled Workers

If you are a skilled worker looking to migrate to Australia, 2014 might be the year to do it. A recent article by David Crowe from The Australian has outlined concerns regarding future skills shortages in Australia. The Australian Industry Group is pushing for an increase in the annual intake of migrants from 190,000 to 220,000 places. It is argued that Australia needs a steady increase in migration intake every year with an emphasis on skilled migration in order to meet current and future skills shortages.

This push comes from an expected skill shortage that threatens to damage Australia’s economic growth. The Australian Workplace Productivity Agency has identified that Australia will need an increase of about 2.8 million people with specific skills over the next decade to fill some gaps in our workforce. An increase in migrants will support the positive growth in our population and assist in smoothing the path to future growth across the economy.

However not everyone is in favour of this push for more skilled migrants. The Sunshine Coast Daily ePaper states that unions and builders in the construction industry are criticising this call and would like to see more work for the people already employed here.

Another viewpoint on this issue is expressed by Kelli McDougall in an article on the ABC website who believes the increase in migrants should also include changes to the visa application process. She says employers are frustrated because even when they find the right person for the job, it can take up to six months for them to be able to begin work, which in a commercial sense costing their businesses money every month.

This is a very important issue that will likely be addressed in 2014 to ensure our Australian workforce and economy does not suffer unnecessary skills shortages or economic hardship in the future.

What are my skilled visa options in Australia?

  • Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 457) visa: To apply for this visa you will need to be sponsored by an employer in a particular position. This visa can last up to four years. For more information about this visa, see here.
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (subclass 186) visa: You can apply for this permanent visa if you have an Australian employer willing to sponsor you. To find out more information about this visa, see our blog.
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) (subclass 187) visa: If you are living in Regional Australia and have an employer to sponsor you, you might be eligible for this permanent visa.
  • Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) visa: This is a points-based permanent visa option and does not require an employer to sponsor you.
  • Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190) visa: This is also points-based, however you will need to be nominated by a state or territory government to be eligible for this visa.
  • Skilled – Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa: To apply for this visa you must either be sponsored by an eligible relative or nominated by a state or territory government and live/work in specified regional areas.

For more information about a subclass 189, 190 and 489, click here.

If you would like more information about any skilled visas and your eligibility to apply for one, please contact a member of our migration team.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *