CALL US TODAY: +61 7 3035 4045

Australian Visas

Aged parent visa – Subclass 804

aged parent visa subclass 804 australian migration immigration agents parents emigrate

Overview of the Aged parent visa – Subclass 804

The visa allows older parents to live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

The current processing time for this visa is at least 30 years. If the application is made in Australia, you may be able to remain in Australia on a bridging visa during the processing of the visa. FC Lawyers are able to confirm your eligibility to make an application in Australia.

Who is eligible for the Aged parent visa?

To be eligible to apply for the Aged Parent visa, you must be at an age where you are entitled to receive an age pension in Australia. This means that you must be 65 years of age or older. It’s important to be aware that the minimum age eligibility for an age pension in Australia may be more than 65 years old depending on when you were born.

You must also meet the balance of family test. You meet this requirement if either:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia or
  • more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa. For most applicants, your child or your child’s spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor you.

You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner (married or de facto)
  • your or your partner’s dependent children
  • other dependent relatives.

What will this visa let me do?

Upon grant of the Aged Parent visa, you will be able to live in Australia permanently. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

What is the application process?

You can lodge the application either in Australian or outside Australia. If you do not have a ‘no further stay’ provision on your visa you can lodge your visa in Australia and will be granted a bridging until the visa is determined.

If you would like any assistance to apply for the Aged parent visa – Subclass 804, please contact our team of Registered Migration Agents.