CALL US TODAY: +61 7 3035 4045

Australian Visas

Contributory parent visa – Subclass 143

Contributory parent visa subclass 143 australian family visas australia migration agents immigration lawyers sydney melbourne brisbane

Overview of the Contributory parent visa – Subclass 143

The visa lets parents live in Australia permanently if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

You pay more for this visa than a normal parent visa because it significantly reduces the waiting time by the payment of a much larger application fee in the form of a contribution.

Who is eligible for the Contributory parent visa?

You must meet the balance of family test. You meet this requirement if either:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia or
  • more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa. For most applicants, your child or your child’s spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor you.

You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner (married or de facto)
  • your or your partner’s dependent children
  • other dependent relatives.

What will this visa let me do?

Upon grant of the Contributory Parent visa, you will be able to live in Australia permanently.  It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

What is the application process?

You can apply for this visa outside Australia. You can also apply in Australia, but only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be outside Australia at the time the visa is granted unless you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (143) or a bridging visa.

If you are wanting to begin the application process for the Contributory parent visa – Subclass 143, please contact our team of Registered Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers.