Obtaining Australian citizenship and an Australian passport is in more demand than ever.
It continues to rate in the top ten most desirable countries to be a citizen.
According to the United Nations, Australia is the second-best country in the world to live, due to its excellent quality of life index and the Wall Street Journal voted it the second happiest country in the world.
In fact, its three major cities Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane often appear in the top ten for various liveability and desirability rankings.
With a population of over 25 million people, low density, an active economy, cutting edge technology, brilliant weather, modern education and health care systems it is understandable why it is becoming the go to place for the world.
There are basically three ways to become an Australian citizen by:
If you are born here and one or both of your parents is an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
If you are the child of an Australian citizen but you are born overseas, you will generally be granted Australian citizenship
If you are a non-citizen of Australia you can apply to become an Australian citizen.
What are the Australian citizenship requirements?
There are certain requirements you must meet which are that:
- you must be an Australian permanent resident
- you must be over 16 years of age
- you have lived in Australia for a period of four years, including 12 months as a permanent resident prior to lodging your application
- are of good character
- you have knowledge of your responsibilities and privileges that are afforded to you as a citizen of Australia
What does Australian citizenship allow me to do?
As an Australian citizen you can:
- vote in Federal and State or Territory elections and in a referendums
- applying for work in the Australian Public Service or in the Australian Defence Force (ADF)
- be elected to parliament
- obtain an Australian passport and be able to travel freely in and out of Australia
Do I have to complete a test?
People applying for citizenship have to undergo and pass a citizenship test.
The test is based on a person’s knowledge and understanding of Australian society, values and history. It also tests your English language abilities.
You can prepare for the test here.
The steps to applying for Australian citizenship
- Determine if you are eligible
- Make sure you meet the residence requirement
- Study for the citizenship test and your interview
- Get together all your documents
- Complete the application and lodge it
- Wait for the invitation to the citizenship appointment
- Undertake the citizenship test and interview
- Wait for notification of the outcome of your application and if successful
- Attend your citizenship ceremony.
How can FC Lawyers help?
At FC Lawyers our expert team which includes accredited specialists in immigration law have helped hundreds of clients with their citizenship applications.
We can provide advice and guidance particularity where you application is not straight forward of you have issues relating to your character.
We can also assist with preparing you for your citizenship exam.
Contact our team today to discuss your migration issues with Australian citizenship.