Visas for Sportspersons, coaches and officials to come to Australia

There are a range of options when it comes to sponsoring sportspersons, coaches or officials either for a short or long stay in Australia.

Temporary Activity visa (Subclass 408)

From the 19th November 2016 a new framework will be implemented to reduce the red tape for short stay sports visas.
The new Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa does not require a nomination or a sponsorship if you intend to stay less than three (3) months. If you apply form outside Australia and intend to stay more than three months, then you will need to be sponsored. If you are in Australia and apply no matter how long for you will need to be sponsored.
The visa applications will be able to be lodged on line and it will make for a faster and more efficient process.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

This visa is granted for up to four (4) years and requires high levels of personal commitment, physical fitness, sporting ability and experience in lieu of formal qualifications.

To obtain this visa you must outline an employment record as an elite full-time professional in your nominated occupation. You must show recent experience as a full-time elite player or coach for a substantial period under Australian occupation standards – for example sports coaches, Instructors and Officials require a minimum period of at least 3 years’ relevant work experience. This cannot include time as a trainee, apprentice or cadet and/or non-professional experience.

Your status as an elite athlete should be demonstrated by past income records. The income must be substantiated against national income levels and be the principal source of income.

You may also be asked to provide references from the relevant national administrative body of the sport in which you are engaged supporting your skill level and income received.

Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 858)

This is a permanent visa for a person where they:

  • have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, a sport, the arts, or academia and research
  • are still prominent in the area
  • would be an asset to the Australian community
  • have no difficulty getting employment, or in becoming established independently in your field in Australia
  • are nominated by an eligible person or organisation
  • meet health and character requirements.

If you are younger than 18 or you are 55 years of age or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.

Can you bring your family?

Yes, you can bring family members on these visas subject to meeting certain criteria.

Our team of Registered Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers will assist you with your visa application regardless of what stage you are at. If you have any questions regarding the Temporary Activity visa, Temporary Work (Skilled) visa or Distinguished Talent visa, please contact us.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *