If you are thinking about applying for a visa, or are in the process of a visa application, watch out for the fee increases starting on 1 July 2013. All valid visa applications lodged with the department before 1 July will not be subject to these changes to pricing. Your visa application is valid when the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) receives the correct total of the visa application charge.
What is the new structure of payment for a visa application?
Under the proposed changes the first instalment of the Visa Application Charge (VAC) will be made up of:
- A base application charge
- An additional applicant charge for each additional dependant of the main applicant for most visa types.
This charge will be paid by each additional applicant included in or added to a combined visa application (unless an exemption applies). The amount varies according to the age of the applicant and the visa subclass. This charge is added to the base application charge; the main applicant does not pay the additional applicant charge.
- A subsequent temporary application charge of $700
This is a charge for a person who is in Australia and holds a temporary visa which was granted in Australia and who is applying for another temporary visa.
- A non-Internet application charge of $80 (where a person lodges an application for a visa by means other than making an Internet application, where it is possible for that person to lodge an Internet application).
What visas will be affected by this Visa Application Fee increase?
This charge will be applied to the majority of visa subclasses including the following:
- If you are applying for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa the application base charge is $3060 and then a further cost of $1530 will be incurred for each additional applicant who is over 18 years and $765 for each additional applicant under 18 years.
- If you are interested in a Temporary Skilled Work (subclass 457) visa the base application charge is $900 with each additional applicant over 18 costing a further $900 and $225 for each additional applicant under 18.
- If you wanted to apply for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa, the base charge is $3060 with a further $1530 fee for each additional applicant over 18 years and $765 for each additional applicant under 18 years.
- If you are applying for a Partner (subclass 820) visa the base fee is $3975 with each additional applicant over 18 costing a further $1990 and for each additional applicant under 18 the fee will be $995.
- ETAs, eVisitor visas visas will not be affected nor will Citizenship applications.
How do I calculate the cost of my visa application fee?
From 1 July 2013 there will be a proposed Visa Pricing Table available to assist you to estimate the cost of your visa application.
Calculation sheets will be available in all relevant application forms for paper applications from 1 July 2013. If you are lodging your visa application online through the DIAC online service, the online application tool will calculate the total charges for you.
Where can I find more information on the visa application fee?
For more information on the visa pricing changes, please click here or contact a member of our migration team.