International Students and Work Visas

If you are an international student wanting to apply for a visa to work in Australia (work visa), you may have to pass the points test.

The points test is a test based on a variety of factors and helps Australia identify people who have the necessary skills and attributes that it needs.

Depending on the visa that you are applying for, will determine how many points you need to pass the points test. You can receive points for many reasons including: skills, age, English language ability, occupation and Australian work experience and Australian qualifications.

International Students and Work Visas

For international students, you will be eligible for 5 additional points towards your points test if you have earned a degree in one of the subjects within Australia listed below.

The following fields of education qualifications are proposed to be accepted under this new measure and are defined by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS):

  1. Biological Sciences
  2. Chemical Sciences
  3. Earth Sciences
  4. Mathematical Sciences
  5. Natural and Physical Sciences
  6. Other Natural and Physical Sciences
  7. Physics and Astronomy
  8. Computer Science
  9. Information Systems
  10. Information Technology
  11. Other Information Technology
  12. Aerospace Engineering and Technology
  13. Civil Engineering
  14. Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Technology
  15. Engineering and Related Technologies
  16. Geomatic Engineering
  17. Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
  18. Maritime Engineering and Technology
  19. Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology
  20. Other Engineering and Related Technologies
  21. Process and Resources Engineering.

The recent changes made to the points test will enhance the pathway to permanent residence (PR) for students who have completed Doctoral or Masters by research-level qualifications in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) or specified information and communication technology (ICT) related fields in Australia.

Graduates who want to determine whether their qualification is eligible are able to search the CRICOS website for more information.

If you are an international student that would like to apply for a work visa in Australia, please contact us today to discuss your migration options with our team of Registered Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers. We have provided assistance for thousands of skilled migrants obtaining sponsored visas and work visas.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *