Religious Workers – Religious Institution Sponsorship

This visa is for religious workers to undertake full-time religious work that directly serves the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.

You might be eligible for this activity type if you:

  • intend to do full-time religious work that directly serves the religious objectives of the religious institution, religious work includes providing spiritual leadership, conducting worship, teaching or guidance on religion, ministering in pastoral care or proselytising, and other high-level specialist work in relation to these areas
  • have the relevant qualifications and/or experience to perform the proposed religious work.

This visa type is not intended for people who want to simply work for a religious institution in secular activities such as administration or aged care.

You might be able to get this visa if:

  • You are a Genuine Temporary Entrant
  • Whilst in Australia, you must be able to support yourself and any eligible dependant family members who come with you
  • You must meet certain health requirements. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months
  • You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia
  • If your proposed duration of stay in Australia will be for a period of 12 months or more, then police certificates should be provided when you lodge your application for this visa
  • You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted
  • Have functional English language ability

If you apply in Australia or you apply outside Australia and you intend to stay for more than 3 months you must provide the following from your sponsor:

  • Sponsors Transaction Reference Number or Sponsorship Application ID
  • Sponsor approval letter or receipt for lodgement of the sponsorship application
  • A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and all dependent family members included in your application

​This is a temporary visa and granted for up to two years. You can be in or outside Australian when you apply for this visa and when the visa is granted.

To sponsor or support a religious worker activity type application the religious institution must be an organisation that is operating lawfully in Australia and endorsed as a charity by the Australian tax office where:

  • the organisation’s objectives and activities reflect its character as a body instituted for the promotion of some religious object
  • the beliefs and practices of the members of the organisation constitute a religion

A religious institution sponsorship will last for up to five years.

If you have any questions regarding the sponsorship of religious workers, or you want to sponsor religious workers, please contact our team of Registered Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *