How do I sponsor a Minister of Religion to come to Australia?

A Minister of Religion for immigration purposes includes; Chaplains, Imams, Monks, Priests, Rabbis and Salvation Army Officers.

They usually have to have a skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. The occupation in this unit group requires high levels of personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.

The tasks that they undertake must show experience in the following:

    • preparing and conducting services of public worship and acknowledgments of faith
    • preparing and delivering sermons, homilies and special talks, and planning music for services
    • participating in the social and welfare activities of communities, encouraging people to be aware of their responsibilities, and organising participation in community projects
    • conducting classes of religious instruction, and supervising prayer and discussion groups, retreats and seminars
    • conducting premarital and family counselling and referring people to professional service agencies where necessary
    • performing marriages, funerals and special memorial services according to tradition and ecclesiastical and civil law
    • visiting members of the community in their homes, hospitals and other institutions to provide advice and religious comfort

Since 1 July 2015 religious organisations must sign up to the Minister of Religion Industry Labour Agreement before lodging a nomination for the Agreements Stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme, or to become a sponsor for the Subclass 457 visa temporary work visa.

It is also important to note that there are no longer exemptions under the age, skill and language requirements that applied under the previous visa streams pre 1 July 2015.

We have assisted many organisations with these types of visas and are expert team is there to answer any questions you may have. If you have any questions regarding Work or Skilled visas or would like to start your visa application, please contact our team of Registered Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *