Australia currently has very tight restrictions in relation to entering the country during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident you will need to obtain an exemption if you are an immediate family member of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who is usually resident in Australia.
An immediate family member is:
- a spouse
- a de facto partner
- a dependent child
- a legal guardian
Alternatively, you will have to demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances. The Commissioner of the Australian Border Force can grant an exemption for compelling and compassionate reasons could include, but is not limited to, needing to travel due to the death or critical illness of a close family member.
Each application of an exemption is considered on a case-by-case basis.
It is advisable to apply at least two weeks before you hope to travel and even with the exemption, there is no guarantee you will be able to board a flight to Australia as international flights are limited.
Upon arrival you will be required to undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
It is important to provide as much information as possible. For example, you may need to provide the following:
- proof of identity
- evidence that you hold a valid visa
- travel itinerary
- marriage, birth, death certificate/s
- proof of relationship or residence (such as a shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)
- letter from a doctor or hospital, indicating why travel is necessary
- letter from an employer indicating why travel is necessary
- supporting letter from a business or government agency, advising why your skills are critical
- statutory declaration to support your claims.
Do you want more information on travel exemptions during the COVID-19 pandemic?
We have acted for numerous people seeking travel exemptions. It can be a stressful process and sometimes may take more than one attempt. It is important you provide the correct information to support your application. If you need assistance contact our expert team today.