Are you an overseas student studying in Australia? What are your plans for after you graduate?

Overseas students studying in Australia need to start considering their options about what they want to do once they finish their course while they are still studying. If you have studied or are studying in Australia, you may be eligible to remain in Australia to either study another course (i.e. a Masters) or to enter the Australian workforce. It is different for each overseas student.

Some post-study visas that students should consider are:

Skilled – Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)

This visa might be suitable for you if you are an overseas student who has obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two years study. If you do not have a sponsor you must receive at least 65 points on the points test to be eligible.

Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)

This visa is for applicants who cannot meet the Skilled – Independent requirements for the subclass 885 visa program but have a relative in Australia who can sponsor them or a nomination from a state or territory government.

From 31 December 2012 the Subclass 885 and 886 visas will no longer exist. Students who qualify under these visas need to lodge their application by 31 December 2012 otherwise they will have to qualify for the 189 and 190 General Skilled Migration visas.

Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)

This is a three year provisional visa for eligible overseas students. Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated regional area of Australia or nominated by a participating state/territory government. Applicants will become eligible to apply for a permanent visa after living for two years and working for at least one year in a Specified Regional Area.

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

This is an 18 month temporary visa for graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions who have skills in demand in Australia. You will not have to meet the points test to qualify for this visa!

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)

This is an 18 month temporary visa for overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification as a result of at least two years study. This visa allows applicants who are cannot pass the points test to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain the skills and experience needed to apply for a permanent or provisional General Skilled Migration visa.

I have an employer who wants to sponsor me

If you are looking at heading straight into the work force and you have an employer willing to sponsor you, you may want to look at employer sponsored visa options.  These options include:

You need to start considering your options NOW

Student visas generally expire soon after the holder finishes their studies. Options for further visas often require documentation that can take time to obtain. It is therefore important for students wanting to remain in Australia after graduation to know what visas they might be eligible for and to begin preparation for further visa applications before they graduate.

Our Migration Team can help you understand your options to remain in Australia to commence further studies or to get valuable work experience in a field that closely related to your study area. We can help you to get your application right the first time and thus avoid costly delays in processing. We will ensure that you are in the best position possible to get your application approved.

If you’re an overseas student who wishes to know more, please contact us to discuss your post-study options.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *