Temporary Residence Transition Stream
If you are currently in Australia on a subclass 457 visa, you may be eligible for a subclass 187 visa through the Temporary Residence Transition stream. This visa is a permanent residence visa.
In addition to the general criteria set out previously, to qualify under this stream you must:
- Have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in your nominated occupation;
- Be nominated in a position that matches, or closely aligns with your subclass 457 visa position; and
- Have competent English (IELTS 5 across all bands).
Under this stream, your skills do not need to be assessed because you have already worked for your nominating employer for the past two years in that role.
Direct Entry Stream
If you have not worked in Australia but have an employer willing to sponsor you, or you have not worked for your nominating employer for two years, the Direct Entry stream may be for you.
In addition to the general criteria above, you must:
- Be nominated in an eligible occupation;
- Have qualification and skills relevant to your nominated occupation;
- If you are nominated as a tradesperson and obtained your qualifications outside Australia, you will need to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority;
- Have applied to and received advice from a Regional Certifying Body (RCB); and
- Have competent English (IELTS 6 across all bands).
Regional Certifying Body (RCB)
For the Direct Entry stream, a visa applicant must apply to a RCB who will provide advice to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship with regards to the occupation in that part of regional Australia.
The Agreement stream is for applicants who are sponsored by an employer through a Labour Agreement or a Regional Migration Agreement.
If you would like to know anything else regarding visas, please feel free to contact our Migration Team.